We are excited to already be five weeks into the school year. Our kinks are getting worked out, we are getting settled in and the nest is becoming home. Thank you to all of the parents that have helped make that possible and to you all for your patience as we build our new school. In the future this email will be sent Friday for the following week, however this week there were a few announcements we want to make you aware of before Friday.
- Silverton Middle School Community Open House: Friday from 5:00-6:30pm. Falcon families, guests and the community are invited to tour our campus and experience the transformation. Staff and students will be available to answer questions about the new Silverton Middle School.
- Drop Off and Pick up: We would like to thank all of our parents for their patience in our student pick up and drop off zone. In keeping our student’s safety at the forefront, we have asked them not to run through the parking lot. Please remember that students should be picked up in the zone of the district office parking lot. This zone extends from the new concrete area and back between the two curbs so more students can enter or exit cars at the same time. Please pull to the right in the line to pick up your student and save the area to the left for those who need to exit the parking lot. A map of this area will be posted on our school website on Tuesday and we will have hard copies of it in our office. If you have any questions or concerns, please let our principal know by calling the office at 503-873-5317.
- Bike Safety: Silverton Middle School is partnering with the Silverton Police Department to teach our students about bike safety. We encourage all 6th graders to bring your bikes on Thursday, Oct. 6th and all 7th and 8th graders to bring yours on Friday, Oct 7th! Please make sure that you bring your helmets as well. Students will be participating in the bike safety activity during their health or PE classes on those days, weather depending.
- Pinnacle Internet Viewer: We are once again pleased to be able to offer the Pinnacle Parent Viewer for our families to use to monitor grades and attendance for students. Many of our families have used this service in the past however, all usernames and passwords were reset for parents and guardians over the summer. Your student should be bringing home a letter with your new username and a temporary password. You will use the temporary password to login the first time, it will tell you that your password is expired. Use the temporary password as the old password and then you can create a new one of your choosing. Also attached to that letter will be a half sheet that your student will need to return to their AG teacher with your signature to acknowledge that you received the information. Thank you so much for your assistance with this, we hope that you find the PIV a helpful tool. If you have any questions, contact me, Sarah Wiesner in the main office.
- Donations: There are still many ways that parents could help build our new SMS. Thank you to the families that have already donated time and/or goods to our staff and students. A few items that we are still in need (or want J) of:
- Umbrellas and Umbrella buckets for the doors between buildings. With the rains, it would be great to have a couple of buckets of umbrellas available for students to use as they transition.
- Fall flower bulbs. Not a need but certainly a want. Would love to be able to plant some Springtime happiness.
- Picnic Tables and benches for outside at lunch
- A Large Globe
- Colored Copy Paper
- Robotics- extra batteries, wheels, and monetary donations
- Indoor play equipment, ie. Nerf balls or indoor soccer goals.
- We always need more help from parents.
- Currently we have a need for a volunteer to put together our indoor basketball hoops if anyone has those skills.
- Regular schedule for the remainder of this week
- Oct 10-14th. Regular schedule Mon-Thurs. No School Friday Oct. 14th (Statewide In-service Day)
- The volleyball game scheduled at Patton Middle for Thursday the 6th has been canceled. Please check in with coaches about a possible rescheduled date.
- Students that are wanting to wrestle and girls wanting to play basketball, you must have a valid physical on file with the office and athletic participation paperwork completed before being allowed to practice. Physicals are good for two years. If you have questions about physicals, please call Jennifer Wollersheim in the main office.
- Away Game Monday Oct. 10th at Chehalem Valley Middle School dismiss time of 2:00pm
- Away Game Wednesday Oct 12th at North Marion Middle School dismiss time of 2:40pm
- Cross Country
- Away Meet Thursday Oct. 13th Nike Middle School Cross Country Showdown Avery park dismiss time of 1:50pm
Thank you again for all that you do to prepare your kids to be successful each and every day. We are really enjoying getting to know all of our Falcons and are excited about the new year. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us in the office.